To spice up my CG stuff a bit, I found time to scour the net for a furniture piece that I liked, and made a Leitmotiv LM753 Wooden Stool recently. However, I found that the slight taper to its legs and the curvature between them made replicating the veneer strip fixed to them quite difficult.
So I took it upon myself to UV unwrap the model, which I had always found tedious and somewhat hard to get my head around. This time around I found it quite easy to assign the seams and pelt map the faces where required. Due to the way the model was constructed there are multiples of seams, but these do not detract from the final quality of the piece.
After this stage, it was a case of assigning textures (multi-sub materials) and modifying the textures where required. My version is actually darker than the real-life piece, just for personal preference.
The render itself turned out very beautifully (full size image linked below), and after some post-processing, it is safe to say that I am satisfied with the end result. Another mini-project unrelated to ‘architecture’ as per the title of this blog, but never mind – this was somewhat impulse driven.